Portion size 2
- 120g Brussel sprouts, outer layer peeled and then sliced
- 1x medium red onion diced
- 2x large cloves of garlic diced
- 160g risotto rice
- 2 x pints vegetable stock (either fresh, or from a stock cube)
- 1x small pumpkin, outer skin peeled, cut into slices, seeds removed and retained
- 40g hazelnuts
- 80 g freshly grated parmesan
- Maldon sea salt, cracked black pepper and plenty of extra virgin olive oil
Place the pumpkin flesh in a bowl, add three generous glugs of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper; mix and then lay on a roasting try covered with greaseproof paper. Place in a pre-heated oven at 160oC for 35 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Add the hazelnuts and seeds for the last 12 minutes of roasting.
Place the sliced sprouts in the same bowl previously used for the pumpkin, add three generous glugs of extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper. Lay on another try covered in baking parchment and roast in a pre-heated oven at 130oC for 15 minutes, or until golden.
Whilst the sprouts and pumpkin are cooking fry off the onion under a gentle heat in a pan with a little olive oil and after 5 minutes add the garlic. Whilst they are cooking, wash the rice under a tap in a sieve. Now add the rice to the onion/ garlic, and fry for a short while before adding a ¼ of a pint of the vegetable stock. Continue adding the stock in smaller quantities until the rice is cooked all the way through. Top up with water if the stock runs out.
Add olive oil, grated parmesan, and salt/pepper to the rice, mix in the sprouts, top with the roasted pumpkin, pumpkin seeds, roasted hazelnuts and drizzle with olive oil.