People often ask me what my favourite restaurant is, and I usually say whatever is on my list.
On average there’s a new opening in London every week, so my list pretty much includes anywhere new that has something special to offer. This month my list looks like this:
1. The Firehouse – Chilton Street. Chef Nuno Mendes brings you his own brand of “Willie Wonka” cooking. Try the Crab Doughnuts, Southern Fried Chicken, Chargrilled Iberico Pork, and Octopus Salad.
2. Hoi Polloi – Shoreditch. Great fun. Go with the Featherblade, Bone Marrow and Parsley, and the Dripping Chips. It’s in Hoxton though, so be sure to take your retro sports bag.
3. Zucca– Bermondsey. A traditional Italian brought to a cosmopolitan contemporary level. The pasta, veal chop and hazelnut ice cream are fantastic! It’s by London bridge so after, find a street urchin to shine ya shoes governor, and then take him home to sweep the ol chimney.
4. Plum and Spilt Milk – Kings Cross. You have to try the Short Rib Beef Bourguignon. I loved it so much, I’m getting chef Mike Denham to show me how to cook it next week!
5. Rotorino – Dalston. Old boss Stevie Parle of the River Café is head chef, and this is another Italian gem. The sea Bream Carpaccio is the outright winner here.
6. Barnyard – Charlotte Street. Order the BBQ short rib with dill pickle and black treacle mustard; stickier then Max Clifford’s underpants.
7. Kurobuta – Kings Road. Ex Nobu chef Scott Hallworth comes up with Japanese classics including Soft Shell Crab Tempura and BBQ Pork.
8. The New Angel– Chepstow Place. New restaurant from John Burton-Race and Underground Cookery School friend! Marvel the big man’s take on John Dory, crab and stuffed courgette flower
9. City Social – Old Broad Street. New gaff opened by Jason Atherton. You’ll have to go with City Boy favorite; Fillet Steak, cooked over charcoal and served on its own board with duck-fat chips, salad, béarnaise and peppercorn sauce. It’s on the 24th floor, so the views more interesting then Ya Ya Toure’s birthday card from Manchester City.
10. Camberwell Arms – Camberwell Church Street. Try the grilled chopped rabbit or Longhorn beef Lasagne.