Matt shows us the quick and easy way to make a perfect Gnocchi. Starting with a few simple ingredients you can quickly and simply knock up this Italian specialty.
THE UNDERGROUND COOKERY SCHOOL
Gnocchi with Tomato Pomodoro
Serves 6- as a starter
- 5oog King Edwards Potatoes
- 1 egg
- 150g “oo” flour
- rock salt
- Pepper Olive Oil
- 2x400g Tins chopped tomatoes
- 1small red onion diced
- 1xclove garlic diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 handfull of fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- Fry off the onions and then garlic and add the tinned tomatoes; blitz with stick blender and cook on a low heat for 40 minutes or until done. When you are happy add the sugar, basil and salt and pepper.
- Place the unpeeled potatoes in a saucepan and add enough water to cover them. Add 3 tablespoons of rock salt and leave to boil.
- After about 20 minutes tip into a colander to drain.
- Peel, and then pass through the potato Ricer or mash. Add salt, pepper, the egg and the “oo” flour and mix. Then place onto a work surface and knead until you have a dough. If the dough is not firm enough add more flour, and if it’s too dry add a little more moisture.
- 5.Add a little flour to the work surface. Take off fist sized pieces of dough and roll into lengths of about 3cm thick. Now cut of on the angle 2cm pieces and place on a tray, leaving gaps between the gnocchi so they don’t stick together.
- 6.Fill a large pan with water and bring-up to the boil Add salt. Tip the contents of the tray into the water. When all the Gnocchi come to the surface scoop them out of the water and transfer to a try. Drizzler with black pepper and olive oil.
For free fortnightly video podcast go to: