Ingredients for gluten free pizza base recipe
- 260g yoghurt (any plain yoghurt or greek yoghurt would work)
- 250g gluten free self raising flour (or just plain GF flour with a teaspoon of baking powder)
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (can omit if you’re flour contains it, but if you have it, add it in anyway!)
- 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
Instructions for the Pizza base
- Add all your ingredients into a bowl and mix together.
- Knead the dough briefly so it’s smooth and combined (you might need a little flour if it’s a bit sticky, it shouldn’t be)
- Cut the dough into 2 pieces.
- On a lightly floured surface use a rolling pin to roll out your dough. I roll mine to just over 0.5cm thick in a fairly round shape. I then cut around my frying pan so its really round and so that it fits into the pan! Although if it goes up the sides of the pan that’s fine… it makes a fab crust!
- Heat up a frying pan – no oil needed.
- Carefully lift up your rolled dough and place it in the heated frying pan (I like to use my cake lifter to lift the dough). Allow to cook on one side for a few minutes, you should start to see some puffing up.
- Once some golden browning has occurred, flip the pizza base and cook for slightly less time on the other side. Once done, repeat with the other half of your dough (any excess dough can make a third pizza or a little garlic bread!) Place your bases onto a baking sheet.
For the Tomato Pizza Sauce
- 20g Unsalted Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 x Small Red Onion Diced
- 1 x Clove Garlic Diced
- 1 x 400g Chopped Tinned Tomatoes
Add both the butter and olive oil to a saucepan on a medium heat, and then gently fry-off the onion; when soft and cooked through add the garlic a minute or two later, and then after another minute add the tinned tomatoes, if you have a stick blender then blitz to a pureé.
Cook down for 25 minutes on a low heat, or until thickened to your liking.
To make the pizza.
Spread the tomato sauce onto the pizza base once cooled, then add the mozzarella randomly followed by a little salt, pepper, olive oil , basil and anything else you fancy.
Place in a very hot oven for approx. 15 minutes, or until the crust is crispy.